It’s time for my annual Favorites of the Year post. Much like 2012, 2013 was a great year. I saw a dream of mine come true by getting my second book, Responsive Design with WordPress, published by PeachPit/New Riders. They’ve published most of the books that I read to learn about web design/development, so it’s a real honor to have my work published through them. And of-course, there’s all of the tech and media of the year. Here are my favorites.
I’ve been discussing the Series Finale of Dexter with a lot of people lately and now that the dust has settled a bit, I figured this would be a good place to put all of my thoughts.
Warning! There are Spoilers ahead! If you haven’t seen the finale, do not click on the link to continue.
- 2009 Called (xkcd): I will have to remember this one.
- .tel, .xxx, and .mobi are all pointless and idiotic: Agreed. There’s really no way to prevent sites that fall under these categories from purchasing the .comÂ equivalent, or vise-vera.
- The State of the Freelancer: I love me some nice infographics.Especially helpful ones.
- CBS will Remove some Showtime Shows from Netflix (bgr):Â Translation: People weren’t buying Californication or Dexter on DVD anymore. I guess I won’t become a Californication fan then…
- Friday by Rebecca Black- Cover by Matt Mulholland (youtube): Awesome. Thank you @joelmchale
- What we Have to See in iOS 5 (brg): He’s right on all account, especially that people are going to buy it anyway.
- Amazon.com lets you play with an Android virtual machine, try apps before you buy them (engadget): This is pure awesome. Couple that with the fact that they give an app away everyday, and you’ve got a really great Android Market competitor.
- 5 Things They Never Told You (cracked): This is by far the best cracked.com article I’ve ever read.
- 18 Million WordPress.com Websites Now Available in iPad Format (mashable): They are using a (free!) plugin called onswipe. It’s now being used on this site as well!
- The Path to Productivity: Short Hours, More Breaks (workawesome): I like to break my day down into tasks that I complete then follow with a quick break. However, if I am in a groove, do not disturb me!
- Poster: Mixed Reviews: These are some pretty sweet posters showcasing the great beverages of great movies. I may have to get 1 or 5.
- Minimalist Task Management with Todo.txt Touch (android.appstorm): I take a look at my new favorite Android app, Todo.txt Touch.
- Comic: The 6 Crappiest Interview Questions (the oatmeal): That’s about right. If there’s a better interview answer for “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” than “Here, working my away up the ranks,” I’ve yet to hear it.
- 10 Great Sites for Finding Great Deals (web.appstorm): Twice published by envato this week, I take a look at my 10 favorite sites for finding awesome deals.
- Comic: Unmatched Parenthesis (xkcd: This bothered me a lot. I wonder if it broke any automatic parsers.
- ‘Oopsies!’: Us Weekly apologizes to Sarah Palin over using fake quotes (foxnews): I heard US Weekly said, “Well, I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.”
- Rdio: I’ve been using this music streaming service for the last 5 or so days have I’ve been digging it.
- Image: Pyramid scheme (lamebook): HA!
- 20 Awesome Android Apps for Students (android.appstorm): Great list! Kinda makes me wish I was still a student, but I suspect I can try some of these out as a teacher.
- Watercooler: The Forecast for Mr. Sunshine (tvguide): I really liked the show- I’m also a big fan of Matthew Perry. PS- they use a quote from yours truly in the article!
- Google Goggles Solves Sudoku (youtube): My phone is now smarter than me.
- Verizon’s iPhone Event (engadget): Here’s a play-by-play of Verizon’s announcement of the iPhone coming to their network.
- All-time MLB Saves Leader Trevor Hoffmann Retires (mlb): The man had 601 saves. The only guy close to that is Mariano Rivera.
- How to be Early when You’re Perpetually Late (work awesome): It drives me crazy when people are constantly late.
- iPhone Speed Test- ATT vs. Verizon (cnet): Spoiler- this video shows the Verizon iPhone is way faster than it’s ATT counterpart.
- TV Show Favs is a TV Show Tracker for Android (lifehacker): This app keeps track of your favorite shows for you. And it has a widget. It’s my new favorite app.
- 10+ Sources for Web Background Patterns (webdesigntuts): This will prove to be very useful to me.
- 5 Money Mistakes Freelancers Make (freshbooks)
- Rock-Solid WordPress 3.0 Themes using Custom Post Types (nettuts): I wrote this back in May for Nettuts+, but referenced it this past week for the Manifest Development redesign.
It’s October! My favorite month, and not just because it’s my birthday this month. Baseball postseason, Football in full swing, the weather is cool, and the leaves are changing. What more can you want? But enough of that. Here are the things that caught my eye during the last week of September.
- YouTube Time Machine: A website that catalogs YouTube videos by year, dating all the way back to 1860. This website is great for some nostalgia or a history lesson (and the greatest thing, possibly ever).
- 6 New Scientific Finding about Facebook Users: I think studies that try to generalize the actions of 500 Million people from all over the world is silly. Also, statistics like this are not scientific.
- Busted! Reds Reported after Smoking Victory Cigars in Clubhouse: It upsets me that people at home, not affected by this at all, would take the time to tattle on a team smoking in their own clubhouse because they made the playoffs for the first time in 15 years.
- Peter Thiel: Facebook is Undervalued: Unless Facebook is currently pulling in more than $33 Billion, it’s grossly overvalued.
Some closing notes: Dexter Season 5 premiered last week: Here’s the full episode from Showtime’s official YouTube page. As far are music goes, I picked up Brandon Flowers’ (of The Killers) new album, Flamingo. It’s pretty good (note: really good. very personal).
This week was premiere week for the Fall 2010 TV season. The ones I watched were: Glee (no shame), Raising Hope*, Running Wilde*, Modern Family, Cougar Town**, Community, 30 Rock, and Outsourced*. While there were many great moments, I want to share my favorites with you. Check them out after the jump.
**I miss Scrubs.
For today and tomorrow only, YouTube will be testing live broadcasting with 4 of their partners. The most interesting part about this test is the ability for live comments, which lets users interact directly with the broadcaster.
I think this will be a very interesting test, I think it will do well, and I think coupled with Google TV, it will change the way live TV is done. Check it out!
- How To Design And Style Your WordPress Plugin Admin Panel: This helped me immensely this week. Great for any WordPress Plugin Developer
- NYT Q&A- Moving Media to the Droid: This can apply to any Android phone. This is something I wish was a little more intuitive; this guide is very helpful
- Dexter Season 5 Trailer: I can not wait for Season 5 to start. Dexter is one of my favorite shows- I will have Showtime solely to watch. [WARNING: SPOLIERS from Season 4]
- Darth Vader Robs a Bank: OK, bank robbery generally is not funny, but this definitely is.
- Windows 7 Pro $30 for Students: If you have a valid .edu email address and can prove you’re taking at least 0.5 credits in the fall, you qualify for this. Great deal.