Working remotely is fantastic; you have a lot of freedom to work anywhere you want, create your own daily schedule (more or less) and overall have a better work-life balance. However, it can also have its drawbacks. It means that you are probably working from home most of the time, and that can blur the line between when you work and when you don’t. It can be easy to get sucked in and ‘just do this real quick’, especially if you like the work you’re doing. That’s why it’s important to have a schedule or routine when you work from home.
This will help you create the boundaries needed to prevent constantly working.
Mine varies a bit depending on my wife’s work schedule and the baby, but in general her’s what it looks like:
- 7:00 – 9:00am: Baby Time
- 9:00 – 12:00pm: Work (with breaks here and there)
- 12:00 – 1:00pm: Lunch & Online Learning (or gym, if wife works that night)
- 1:00 – 5:30pm: Work (breaks here and there)
- 5:30pm – 6:30pm: Gym if wife is off
- 5:30pm – 9:00pm: Dinner & Family time / put baby to sleep
- 9:00pm – 10:00pm: Online Learning, if wife is working
- 10:00pm – 11:00pm: Unwind before bed.
Again, this can move around a bit depending on what I have to do, but I try to stick to this to make sure I don’t work too long, burnout, or lose time with my family.
Do you work from home? What’s your day-to-day look like?