While browsing through Flickr the other day, I came across a sight I hadn’t seen in nearly 10 years – what my desk looked like my junior year of college. I posted it on various social media sites to much amusment and lots of great comments, but I decided here I’d post a Then and Now shot, with a breakdown of each.
Here’s what my desk looked like on October 19th, 2005 – the day before I turned 20. You can see it’s a freaking mess (the wires are giving me agita now – I don’t know how I lived like that back then), but there are also some interesting artifacts:
- The monitor is a 4:3 aspect ratio! I’m not sure when the first 16:9 displays came out, but I know that I didn’t get one until later.
- You can see my first smart phone docked on the left: a Treo 650. I still miss that phone sometimes.
- 2 computers: the one I built (which I called the Anti-Peice™) and my laptop, which was also my first tablet. I cannot for the life of me remember what computer that was.
- A stack of CDs. This was still my primary medium for transporting and exchanging data, as well as listing to music.
- That Bass. I still use those speakers.
- An extra wire running from the back of my desktop. This was so I could easily plugin headphones.
- Also, I used to drink a lot of soda. At that point, I had never tried coffee.
Here’s my desk as it was a few days ago. Some notes:
- A simplified setup. That’s actually pretty recent. I used to have 2 computers and 2 monitors, and I decided I didn’t need all that. Now it’s down to my 2015 Macbook Pro and a 27″ Cinema Display I got a killer deal on.
- 2 Twelve South products: The Arc and The HiRise. I love these things and they are excellent space savers.
- A Blue Yeti mic. I love that too.
- My super clicky Das Keyboard and Logitech Performance MX mouse.
- My Developer Journal – a Nock Co. Spiral Pad.
- The Dudek Groove block, which I use for my frequently used pens and Field Notes books.
- Misc Disney stuff.
- A cup of coffee. I drink much less soda, and much more coffee now.
- Finally, you’ll notice fewer, more managed wires. I’ve really grown up in 10 years!
I’m moving in a few months and hopefully that means a nicer desk for a more permanent residence. Perhaps I’ll post a follow up when the time comes.
In the meantime, what does your desk look like? Feel free to post in the comments!