Back in 2018 I did a pretty big post about what’s on my desk. Since it often changes, I thought I’d make more permanent home for my current setup. Here it is as of Winter 2020.
My Current Desk
My current desk is a Fully Jarvis Standing Desk and I love it. The full specs are:
- 60 x 30″ Rectangle Top
- Wire Management Grommets with 1 Powered Grommet
- Silver Frame
- Mid Range Height
- Programmable Handset (the preset heights are totally worth it)
- Standing Mat
- Gray Cable Trays
I also have a side table from Fully I use as my writing desk. That will be covered next!
Everything on the Desk
So I numbered everything left-to-right (mostly). Here’s everything in the order they’re numbered:
- iMac Pro: After about year of trying the PC life, I decided it didn’t fit into my workflow that well, and I ended up fighting with it more than I would have liked. I picked up an iMac Pro and it’s everything I need it to be.
- UA Arrow: My preamp/interface. This converted a lot of hardware and wires into a single small box, with 1 wire, that fits on the foot of my iMac Pro.
- Logitech BRIO: I wanted a 4K web cam, and this seems to be the best for it’s price.
- Shure SM7B: My mic. I finally picked up the one I wanted at the end of 2018. I love it.
- Boom Arm: To keep the mic off my desk and out of my face.
- iPad Pro 11″: I went on a bit of a vision quest in 2019 to figure out my desk travel gear, and I settled on the 11″ model after using the 12.9″ for a while. When I’m not traveling, it’s a tertiary monitor.
- Klearlook iPad Stand: I’ve tried many, and this one is my favorite for it’s relatively small footprint and sturdiness.
- Apple Pencil: Pretty much a requirement with the iPad Pro.
- Magic Trackpad 2: Mostly because I can use it while charging, but the gestures are nice too.
- Magic Keyboard 2: Space Grey one came with the iMac Pro.
- Rhodia Notebook: For all my meeting notes. Nice and big with lots of space. Fountain pen friendly.
- Gather by Ugmonk: This was the original impetus for me organizing my desk and it lookssogood. Jeff over at Ugmonk did a really stellar job designing this.
- BenQ 32″ Designer Monitor: It’s really big.
- Amazon Basics Monitor Arm: When I got the iMac Pro, I wanted to save on desk real estate, so I got this arm and it’s a much smaller footprint.
- KRK Rokit 6 Studio Monitors: When I bought my house, I ditched my nearly 20 year old computer speakers and picked up these amazing monitors. They sound incredible.
- Satechi iMac Clamp USB-C Hub: I love this hub. It hooks into the vents of my iMac Pro and makes it much easier to plug other devices in, without having to reach around to the back of the machine,
- Switchpod: I was pretty much instantly sold on this when I heard about it and absolutely love it. it’s lightweight yet sturdy, versatile, and very portable.
- Speaker Stands: A common theme in my setup is saving desk space and these stands made it so I don’t keep to keep my speakers on my desk.
- NEEWER Boom Arm: Or at least the stand for it. Mostly for testing purposes.
My Writing Table
As I mentioned earlier, I also got a writing desk. I’ve always wanted an L-shaped desk but never had the room until we bought a house. Now I have a nice, big dedicated office. I got this table from Fully, and it matches my standing desk exactly. I use this for focused work like writing, journaling and planning.
- Gator Cases 4 Space Studio Rack: The latest addition to the office, now all of my audio equipment is organized, on it’s own power supply, and wires are properly managed/hidden.
- AC Infinity Rack Power Strip: Super clean looking and fits in the rack.
- 13″ Macbook Air: After trying to live the iPad-only life for a while, I realized there were too many hurdles for the type of work I did. So I picked up the Macbook Air.
- William Hannah A5 Classic Notebook: This is my content planner. It’s pricey but SO worth it. It’s got lots of different refills and I use it every day. I went with the One Week Two Pages refill.
- Daily Fountain Pen #1: I always have 2 on my desk for writing. Pictured is the Platinum President, which I got for an incredible price at a pen show.
- Tomoe River Journal: I love the paper and how it lays flat. I use this for long-form writing and thoughts.
- Theme System Journal: My daily journal. I love it. Wrote about it here.
- Daily Fountain Pen #2: Pictured is the TWISBI Diamond 580.
- Twelve South HiRise Wireless: I love Qi charging and this converts from a desk stand to a single puck that you can travel with.
- Humanscale Element Disc with Tech Base: A very generous gift from a neighbor, this fantastic and flexible lamp is incredible.
- Standard Whiteboard
Not Numbered /Pictured
- Audio-Technica ART-M50X Headphones: These studio monitors are great. They’re my go-to headphones for playing back recorded audio, or just listening to music sometimes.
- Elevation Labs Anchor: Those headphones sit on the Anchor, which is attached to the bottom of my desk and looks fantastic.
- Elevation Shelf: This sits attached to the bottom of my desk and gives me just a little extra bit of storage.
- CyberPower 1000VA UPS: Now that I have a desktop again, I don’t want a power outage to kill my work. This uninterruptible power supply does the trick (and probably more tricks that I need it to do).
…I also picked up this workbench, which sits to the left of my desk.
My desk setup is pretty much exactly where I want it to be. I could probably stand to do a little better wire management…or at least get black wires for my speakers so they don’t stand out as much.
The only gear I really want to get is a new 4K camera / video camera. I’m eyeing the Sony a6400, but I’m not quite there yet.
What’s on Your Desk?
This is always of great interest to me! If you happen to like your desk, feel free to link to a photo in the comments or on twitter @jcasabona! Oh, and as promised, here are the unnumbered photos so you can get a good look at mine: