The Hosting field is an ever-changing landscape that requires constant evaluation to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck…OK maybe that’s not necessarily true for most folks, but while transferring sites is a bit of a pain in the neck, I still like to make sure I have tried my fair share of web hosts so that I can offer the best recommendation. It’s why I’ve moved this site a few times, and why I’ve moved it again. This time, to Liquid Web.
A few years ago, I wrote about domain mapping using WordPress Multisite on Media Temple. This year, I’ve been consolidating all of my hosted websites to a single SiteGround account and the very Multisite instance I wrote about needed to be moved over. I had been avoiding it but the time had come, especially since I was getting knocked for $50/month just for those sites. Here’s how I did it.
Continue reading “Migrating WordPress Multisite from Media Temple to SiteGround”
Over at the Crowd Favorite blog, I wrote up a post about an interesting problem I solved recently. I laid out everything you need to know there, but it involves downloading a HUGE database and putting WP-CLI to good use. If you haven’t used it before and you do development with WordPress, it’s super valuable. Anyway, check out the post – it’s a good one!
I got a hot tip in my inbox today from one of my favorite hosting companies, WP Engine. For a limited time, when you visit their website and put in the Konami Code (below), you’ll save 20% on your purchase. To activate this discount, enter the following code using arrows and letters on their keyboard when viewing their website:
Cheat Code: Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a
This summer I started two projects that require me to be in front of a microphone: WP in One Month and How I Built It. It’s a lot of work, but fun and rewarding. One important aspect of recording is making sure you have the right hardware and software. It can take a lot of research and get a bit pricy, but the quality of what you put out makes it worth it. I’ve spent some time finding the right tools; here’s my current setup.
I’m going to cut to the quick with this one. Last week AgileBits, the company behind popular password manager 1Password, rolled out a new subscription-based service and with it, 6 months of 1Password for free. While I have been a big proponent of Dashlane I’ve noticed that the quality of the service has been steadily decreasing – problems with syncing, crashing, inconsistencies between platforms, and a really, really ugly Windows 10 app. I decided to give 1Password a try, and along with that, export all of my data out of Dashlane. It was an adventure, but with the help of 1Password’s support, I managed. Here’s how.
The exact question was worded this way: Has the time come to charge clients extra for getting their site to work in any version of IE? It’s an interesting question to say the least, and one that comes up every so often when a developer is frustrated with something that works fine in Chrome/Firefox/Safari but not IE. There’s not really an easy answer to this because it all depends on why this question gets asked so often. There is a difference between charging more because of a project’s complexity and charging more because you don’t want to deal with something.
When I arrived in Italy for what would be an epic 2 week honeymoon, I had a plan in mind to make sure I would not be without a cell phone and data connection. My wife got me a Nexus 5X last Christmas so I decided to sign up for Google’s Project Fi for international cell service. It’s much cheaper than ATT and I’d get to spend some quality time with Android after being away for about a year. However, when we arrived in Venice I noticed I was connecting to cell towers, but I wasn’t able to text or get online. I thought maybe Venice was spotty but as we moved down country, I still had no luck. I was relegated to calls anywhere, but text and data only on WiFi, which was basically at the hotel. Here’s how that went.