Links Round Up for 02/6/11
- What is the Internet? (video): This video has been flying around the Internet all week. One note is that this was in 1994- less than 17 years ago. It’s amazing how much has changed since then.
- Shutting Down the Internet (pcmag): There is a bill in Congress that would give the President the same power Egypt has, to kill the Internet is need be.Â What does Congress have against the Internet? This is a terrible idea and it will be a sad day in America if it’s passed.
- Google, SayNow, and Twitter team up to make Tweeting from Egypt possible via voicemail (engadget): And this is what make great American companies so great.
- The TSA’s new Body Scanners Spot Bombs, not Dongs (gizmodo): Big change from November, and a big win for everyone who spoke out against the full body scanners.
- Microsoft’s Bing uses Google’s Search Results- and Denies It (google blog): This post explains the experiment Google ran to confirm Bing was stealing their results. Microsoft doesn’t really have a lot of wiggle room here.
- The White Stripes Split (spinner): This is upsetting, though I do like the Raconteurs a lot more.
- Five Ways the Google-powered Tablet is Better than the iPad (lifehacker): I watched the event last week that demoed some of the cool stuff Android 3.0 (called Honeycomb) does. A lot of it is very well done.
- Setting the Record Straight (bing blog): Oh God, it’s a flame war, big corporation style.
- Current Crop of Tablets, Compared (lifehacker): Really helpful- The Moto Xoom looks like the leader of the pack.
- Verizon can now throttle top five percent of bandwidth hogs, downres multimedia transfers (engadget): “Here at Verizon, we like to do 1 really popular thing, follow by a bunch of really, REALLY unpopular things.”
- Palin: America out of Step with Reagan’s Values (usatoday): While she’s right, she isn’t the person to bring us back to them.
- You can Now use Basecamp on your Mobile Phone (37signals): This excited me. Also, they went with a mobile-optimized interface instead of native apps. I think this is a very smart move.
- CSS Properties that Affect Type Rendering (typekit): I’ve has some issues with this recently, so the article is very helpful!
- How to Tell when Your Rates are Too Low (freelance switch): I experienced this over the summer- very true!
- The New Bulletproof @font-face Syntax: Now with support for mobile platforms.
- Pettitte calls it a Career After 16 Years, 5 Rings (yankees): I’ve been watching Andy since I started watching baseball. I will miss him and his rock-solid post season performances
Some other news: Â Today is Super Bowl Sunday (go Pack!), as well as Ronald Reagan’s birthday. Also, I worked on a simple Reading List plugin for WordPress this week. You can see it in action on my blog here, though I have made some changes that I will release this week.